January 7, 2008

Rhythm and Moves

It has recently come to my attention that the picture included on my profile makes me look like I'm picking my nose. Upon closer inspection, it has been determined by a panel of experts, that this is not the case. I try hard to not get caught on camera doing something embarrassing, despite my daughter's best efforts. This doesn't mean that I don't do embarrassing things - I just try to keep my clothes on now.
Big changes in our house over the weekend! I have cleared space in the storage area of the basement to move the treadmill from the rec room to a much better location (also known as the workout area). Out of sight - out of mind. It joins the wobble board and exercise ball in a special place of honour. Now there is much more seating room for the Stanley Cup Playoff run - book your seats early!
The voting for the title of this blog is now running 4 to 3, in favour - a simmering controversy if ever there was one.
There was no newspaper in the mailbox this morning before I left for work. I normally have a coffee and read the paper prior to going out to slay dragons. With time to spare, I was able to sit in the family room quietly and without interruption from people or TV's or music and spend some quality time with myself. It occurs to me that there is a natural rhythm in our lives and that we often ignore it. In our rush to accomplish things on our "to do" list, we move past that which is calling for our attention and move to areas of our lives that show we are "doing" something. I am reminded that we are "human beings" not "human doings." Spending time listening to what is tugging at our heart, listening to the inner voice trying to make itself heard, probably takes us closer to experiencing "joy" than another tick mark on the list could. I have this feeling that our minds and bodies are able to focus energy in particular directions, at specific times and that if we take the time to recognize this particular energy and act upon it, we can experience more joy, accomplishment and success than we can by forcing ourselves into situations in order to satisfy an artificial timetable. We can only know what we need to do by listening in a place that is physically, intellectually and emotionally quiet.
Given that last comment, I will be quiet now and let you focus on what is important in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment